Wake up, wake up, wake up… it’s the first of the monthhhhh!
So I started off trying to make my own iced coffee at home so that I didn’t have to spend money and make the trip to Starbucks this summer.
I ended up spending a bit more money than expected but I got the BEST iced coffee I’ve ever had.
I thought the best way to get iced coffee was to just cool down regular brewed coffee. Nope. You want to cold-brew it. This leaves you with a smooth, acid-free coffee base that we all love for a refreshing cold drink. I had never even heard of it. I like my coffee strong and sweet, like I like my…. ahem, boyfriend :)
Iced Coffee Concentrate
- 1 gallon water ( A gallon of drinking water or filtered water)
- 1 lb bag of your favorite rich coffee (course ground if you can get it)
- a French press OR Coffee filters/several layers of cheesecloth/a fine mesh strainer
- a large bowl pitcher (big enough to hold a gallon)
- Pour gallon of water into your large bowl. (I used a huge punch bowl and covered it with a dinner plate)
- Dump the entire bag of coffee into the water/bowl.
- Stir to make sure all grounds are saturated with water.
- Cover and walk away, for 12 hours or overnight.
- Here’s the time consuming part. You can either line a mesh strainer with a coffee filter or several layers of cheese-cloth, set the strainer on top of your pitcher and pour (or ladle) your coffee mixture into the strainer or use a French press. I found using a French press was much easier and MUCH faster. (If using coffee filters, you might have to replace them several times during the filtering process.)
- Once all the coffee concentrate has been filtered, stick it in the fridge (it will last for a month!)
I love drinking out of mason jars. I bought myself a set of 12 mason jars on Amazon and I use one to store my sweet cream mixture.
What is sweet cream, you ask?
Well, I just happen to have the very simple recipe right…. here!
- 1, 12oz can of evaporated milk
- 1, 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- mix both cans together, refrigerate.
Yes, I said sweetened condensed milk. If you’ve never had this, you’ve never lived. My sister and I fight over who gets to lick the can. Please eat a spoonful of it before you mix it. It is heaven in a can.
Now grab your favorite glass (mine would be my mason jar) and fill it to the top with ice. Pour your iced coffee concentrate into your glass, filling it a little more than half-full. Add Sweet Cream into the coffee/ice glass until full (or to taste) and stir to combine.
PS. Try adding a shot of chocolate syrup to this as well for an amazing iced Mocha!